Building work on the Larundel Mental Asylum in Australia began in 1938 but due to the outbreak World War II, it did not open as a psychiatric asylum until 1953. It was part of a larger mental health complex known as Mont Park. At its busiest, the hospital cared for 750 patients and it is famous for housing some of the most severely mentally ill criminals in Australia.
Construction began in 1938 and by 1940 work was well underway only for the Second World War to change the situation; mental care was no longer a priority and suddenly changes were made and various uses were planned for the buildings.
It served as a hospital for the RAAF and US military, as well as providing a training depot for WAAF operations. During the post-war years of 1946-48, the buildings were used as temporary emergency housing. It formally opened its doors as a psychiatric institution in 1953.
Larundel was now officially a functioning hospital, catering for 387 patients, a quarter of which were women, in 1955 eight additional wards were erected, allowing for another 360 patients, 270 who were female. The hospital treated patients with a range of issues including schizophrenia, psychosis and those suffering from geriatrics. The hospital was notable for being the first treatment center of Peter Dupas, an Australian serial killer.
With the movement of deinstitutionalization across the world Larundel Asylum eventually closed in 1999. Since its closing in 1999, the hospital has become a renowned magnet for paranormal adventurers.
Right now, the site is being developed. There are plans to build 550 new homes on the site itself as part of a housing development. The building site is closed and there is no access to the general public.