Located at 314 Broadway, formerly the site of a fruit store known as the Idlekope Building, the Fargo Theater is an art deco movie theater in downtown Fargo, North Dakota, United States.
Construction began on the theater on September 15, 1925. Opened on March 15, 1926, this 870-seat theater is the area’s only remaining vintage movie palace with a vaudeville stage.
Since its construction, the Fargo Theater has served as an icon of downtown Fargo.
The theater serves as a multi-purpose facility with capacity for film showings, live productions, and meetings, and is a registered historic landmark.
In 1937 it was remodeled by architects Liebenberg & Kaplan, and for years it has been home to a twice annual silent movie night, in which classics like the Phantom of the Opera, Ella Cinders, The Thief of Bagdad, and The General are accompanied by an original live score on the Fargo’s mighty Wurlitzer pipe organ.
With its classic art deco design beautifully restored and renovated in 1998-99, the Fargo Theater now operates as a first-run cinema, 364 days a year. Since 2001, The Fargo Theater has served as the main venue of the Fargo Film Festival.
The festival has accepted submissions from many independent filmmakers from more than 32 American states and 15 countries. The Fargo Theater still stands at its original location in downtown Fargo and is a major attraction to this day.