Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram
 

The Lindau Lighthouse is one of the most scenic and photographed lighthouses in Germany

Marija Georgievska

The Lindau Lighthouse is one of the most beautiful and photographed lighthouses in Germany. It is a medieval tower with a tall pyramidal roof located in Lindau on Lake Constance.

Lindau lighthouse in Germany. Photo Credit

Lindau lighthouse in Germany. Photo Credit

The lighthouse is 33 meters tall and has a perimeter of 24 meters at its base.

It was completed in 1856, when it took over the port’s previous light station in the Mangtrum Tower, which had been constructed in 1230. The 108-foot tall structure is quite unique among lighthouses because it also houses a massive clock.

Considered modern at the time, the Lindau Lighthouse is one of only a few in the world that, in addition to its guiding light, has a clock in its 108 ft. tower.Photo Credit

Considered modern at the time, the Lindau Lighthouse is one of only a few in the world that, in addition to its guiding light, has a clock in its 108 ft. tower. Photo Credit

The clock is clearly visible from the center of the city and, just as its beacon sailors safely to shore, the Lindau Lighthouses’ clock never lets the city’s population lose track of time.

The lighthouse stands at about 108 feet tall and is located at the end of the western mole sheltering the town of Lindau's harbor. Photo Credit

The lighthouse stands at about 108 feet tall and is located at the end of the western mole sheltering the town of Lindau’s harbor. Photo Credit

The Mangtrum Tower functioned militarily and defended the town of Lindau for several centuries.

During the first years of operation, the light was created by an open oil fire. At the time, the keeper would steadily have kept the fire burning in great pans and operate a bell and foghorn. The firing was later converted to kerosene and then gas.

 

The tower was converted to electricity in 1936 and automated in the early 1990s. Photo Credit

The tower was converted to electricity in 1936 and automated in the early 1990s. Photo Credit

Since 1936, the tower has been operated electrically and was automated in the early 1990s. Today, the light is triggered by radio signals emitted by approaching ships.

the Lindau lighthouse and lion gurading the entrance to the small boat harbor. Photo Credit

the Lindau lighthouse and lion guarding the entrance to the small boat harbor. Photo Credit

The lighthouse and the entire port of Lindau were originally built by the Bavarian Railway Company, and was later operated by the shipping department for Lake Constance of Deutsche Bahn.

The light characteristic is one flash every three seconds which is created by two rotating parabolic reflectors. Photo Credit

The light characteristic is one flash every three seconds which is created by two rotating parabolic reflectors. Photo Credit

Eventually, the port was sold to the city works of Constance in 2002, together with the Bodensee-Schiffsbetriebe GmbH shipping company.

It is open to visitors and provides information on local nature and the city’s shipping industry. Photo Credit

It is open to visitors and provides information on local nature and the city’s shipping industry. Photo Credit

After several years of negotiations, the port area, and thus the lighthouse, were transferred to the town of Lindau in April 2010.

Read an interesting story about another lighthouse from us: The Cockspur Lighthouse is one of the five surviving historic lighthouses in Georgia

It is open to visitors, who may find information on local nature and on Lake Constance shipping. The Lindau Lighthouse continues to be a major tourist attraction in Germany.