The island of Poveglia in the Venetian Lagoon was used as a plague quarantine, military fortification, mental asylum, and TV location for ghost hunters

Ian Harvey
Featured image

In the Adriatic Sea, there is a  tiny island in the Venetian Lagoon between Venice and the Lido with a macabre past. The tiny island of Poveglia was once the final home to more than a 160,000 people infected with the plague, who had been sent to the ill-fated island to spend what days they had left before they died.

Today, Poveglia mostly draws the attention of supernatural investigators, ghost hunters, and anyone who has a strong fortitude and fascination for areas that are largely avoided and off-limits to visitors. The island served as a confinement station for so long and for so many infected souls that 50% of its land mass is rumored to contain human skeletons. These stories were somewhat vindicated a short while ago when archaeologists working on the nearby quarantine islands of Lazaretto Nuovo and Lazaretto Vecchio unearthed a mass burial site with the remains of thousands of plague victims.

The island is first mentioned in chronicles of 421 AD. In the 9th century, the island’s population continually increased, and in the following centuries, its importance grew steadily as well. In 1379, when Venice came under attack, all of the people of Poveglia were moved off the island.

Isola di Poveglia Photo Credit

 

Poveglia canal between Islets Photo Credit

In 1527, the elected chief-of-state offered the island to the Camaldolese monks, who refused it. Poveglia remained unoccupied for the following centuries. In 1645, the Venetian government began building five octagonal fortifications to protect and control the entrance to the Venetian Lagoon; only four remain, one of which is the Poveglia octagon.

In 1776, Poveglia was assigned to the authority of the Public Health Office and became a checkpoint for people and supplies entering and leaving Venice by ship. In 1793, there were several cases of the plague on two ships, and almost immediately Poveglia became a temporary isolation center for the ill – a “lazzaretto”. This function became permanent in 1805 under the rule of Napoleon Bonaparte, who also destroyed the revered old church of San Vitale; the old bell tower became a strategic lighthouse. In 1814, the ‘lazzaretto’ was closed down.

Poveglia Closeup of Hospital.Photo Credit

 

 

Poveglia Island in 2010 Photo Credit

During the 20th century, Poveglia was again used as a confinement island, but not in the same way. The buildings were transformed into an asylum for the mentally ill in 1922. Persistent rumors circulated that a doctor allegedly experimented with crude lobotomies on patients.

Later, it was said that he threw himself from the hospital tower after claiming he had been driven mad by ghosts; although some say he was pushed.

Poveglia. Photo Credit

 

 

Poveglia. Photo Credit

 

Poveglia has been showcased on TV, being featured on the Scariest Places on Earth and the paranormal show Ghost Adventures. In 1968, the hospital was closed down, and the island was completely abandoned.

Read another story from us: St. Elmo: this ghost town in Colorado really should be on everyone’s bucket list

A dark Polish graphic novel is set on Poveglia – it focuses on a sick girl and boy with the plague trying to escape from the island while being hunted down by the “Plague Doctors”.