Located in The Hague, Netherlands, the Louwman Museum is a home of the world’s oldest private collection of historic cars, coaches, and motorbikes, brought together by two generations of the Louwman family.
The museum is housed in an 185,000-square-foot building with three floors and over 107, 600-square-foot of exhibition space. The designer behind the museum building was the American postmodernist architect Michael Graves. The layout of the park which surrounds the building was designed by the landscape architect, Louis Baljon.
It all started in 1923, when Pieter W. Louwman, the father of the current owner, Evert Louwman, and his former business partner A. Parqui established their company, called Louwman & Parqui, in The Hague.
A year later, Mr. Louwman purchased the first car – a Dodge Model 30 tourer, which is still a proud part of the collection.
Over the years, the company expanded rapidly, and the number of cars has grown. Today, the collection includes over two hundred and fifty antique and classic automobiles.
In 2010, the museum opened to the public, and it is one of the most beautiful of its kind in the world.
The Louwman Museum has a large hall, the Great Hall, a reception hall, workshops for conservation and repair of cars, and several rooms for business meetings.
The museum features a variety of classic cars, from cars of the Dutch brand Spyker and the only remaining Eysink to 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood, formerly owned by Elvis Presley and Aston Martin DB5 which was used in the James Bond movie Goldfinger.