Widely known as Camp-X, this paramilitary training complex was once situated on the shores of Lake Ontario and was known by several different official names.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police had it filed under the name S25-1-1.The Canadian military referred to it as Project-J, and the Special Operations Executive (SOE), a branch of the UK’s MI6, called it STS-103 (Special Training 103).
During WWII, the compound was run both by the British Security Coordination (BSC) and the Government of Canada. Under great secrecy, it helped the Allies in winning the war.
Camp X was opened on December 6, 1941, by Sir William Stephenson, the chief of the BSC. Sir William was a Canadian coming from Winnipeg, Manibota, and he had close connections with Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt.
The initial purpose of the camp was to promote and facilitate a relationship between Britain and the US at a time when the US was still not allowed to be directly engaged in the happenings of the WWII.
It was the Neutrality Acts that stopped the US from entering the war. These acts were passed by the Congress during the 1930s, as a precaution of the growing tensions in Europe and Asia which had gradually evolved into the WWII.
The legal acts ensured that the US would not get involved in another major conflict, especially after the heavy losses suffered by the country during WWI. What adds to the mystery around Camp X is that it opened just a day before the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. From that moment on, the climate of the war changed as the USA was no longer a passive observer, but an active participant.